Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Some Notes on Togolese Culture (September 28)


September 28, 2011

Some notes on culture observations:

Never use your left hand in Togo because it’s used for other things. This is especially hard for me being left handed. I have to relearn how to do everything with my right hand (especially eating).

When entering a house for the first time you always share a drink of water. Upon entering my host families house this was the first thing my host mother did with me. Its good luck.

Togolese do not look at each other in the eye when talking to one another.

Hold your right hand out palm facing down. Then snap your fingers down until they touch the bottom of your palm. Repeat this process a few times very quickly. You just made the universal Togolese sign for “come here”.

If you want to compliment someone’s clothing ask for it. For example “Give me your skirt!” This is a compliment in Togo. However, you have to be careful on this one because sometimes it’s not a compliment, but they’re actually asking you for something.

Children will call you yovo (White person) where ever you go and sing a wonderful song to accompany it. Also, babies who can’t even say “Mama” know how to mumble the yovo song. I’ve witnessed this a few times.

Togolese during the afternoon break will sleep everywhere and anywhere. I’ve seen several people sleep on top of their motorcycles like a bed (horizontally). It amazes me that they can balance like that.

There are no rules of the road except get out of the way.

Togolese hate to give change. Coins are more precious than bills here. Not sure why.

If you’re stopping by for a visit and they are eating then the Togolese will insist you eat with them.  

Togolese love to say “eh-hen” while in American we say uh-hum.

Every morning at 4am the Togolese women wake up and immediately sweep their house with a bali (broom). Their broom is not like our broom at all. There is no stick and it’s just a bundle of thin bending twigs of the same length tied by string.

When you are new everyone in the community looks out for you. I’ve had strangers help me so much here. The Togolese are just so happy to go out of their way to help you if they can.

Salutations a very important to the Togolese. Most of the time when I’m walking people greet me with “Bon arrive” or welcome and also welcome home. Not everyone greets each other on the street (it’s not necessary. Just the people who you make contact with). I say hello to everyone, “bon jour” or “bon soir” and it makes people’s whole face light up. 

I will post more cultural observations later.

No comments:

Post a Comment