Sunday, January 29, 2012

Ten Things I Love About Africa


Favorite Things About Living in Africa

1.       Living in Africa: I know a bit redundant, but really still deserves its own shout out. The simple fact that I’m living in Africa is just incredibly cool. I’m also not in Togo as a tourist. Nothing wrong with visiting Africa, but because I live here I get to know the real heart of Africa. I can say I know Africans and that they are my friends.

2.       The land: Its breathtakingly beautiful. In rainy season its green and lush. There are palm trees, coconut trees, papaya trees, pineapple trees, and so many more. There are these massively tall trees with a light color back. The trunk of some are as big as a bus.

3.       People: Most people here are wonderful. Togolese people are giving and will go out of their way to help you. They are also some of the most interesting people I’ve ever met. They have the most genuine smiles. Life here is difficult and yet they can smile and find humor.

4.       “Star Showers”: This is a term used to describe late at night after a long hot day and you go to take your bucket shower under the stars. Get it? Star shower? Not sure where the term originated, but all volunteers know the phrase. It’s a poetic way to describe dumping cold water on yourself from a bucket. However, the view cannot be beat. Stars are so bright here out where there is no electricity. When I return to the US I will miss showering under those vivid and bright stars.

5.       Fresh fruit: Yeah, when you eat a pineapple just taken down from your yard it’s undeniably fresh. The fruit here is incredible and so much sweeter than what we buy in the United States. 

6.       Pagne: It’s the colorful printed fabric here that is then made into clothing from tailors. I love that my clothes are fitted for me and not some generic size. The colors are so vivid and the patterns are so unique. Though cotton is more comfortable. But you know what they say . . . ‘when in Togo wear pagne’

7.       Watching the creative, mindboggling, and sometimes downright dangerous ways Togolese transport things and themselves. From cars meant for five people holding nine to a moto having the zedman, two women and five goats laid onto of each other all on one motorcycle . . .  Togolese defy physics and the law of gravity. It’s amazing to see what they can carry on their heads. Just yesterday coming back from Notse a saw another moto coming towards us with a long object strapped to the back with bungee cords. As we got closer I saw that it was a coffin.  My first thought was “huh . . . it’s a coffin on a moto,” followed by “I hope nobody’s in there.”     

8.       Cold Soda: there is little better than drinking a cold coke on a hot African day. I love to hear that pop and fizzle after opening the top.

9.       Freedom of clothing: Labels don’t matter here (not that you can’t find name brands in Dead Yovo markets). You can wear anything in Togo (well . . . there are some stipulations if you’re a woman about showing your knees). You don’t have to match and often Togolese will wear with confidence some big fashion no-nos. If you want to wear a Halloween costume? Go ahead. Fur hat in Africa. Why not?

10.   Fanmilk: Togolese version of “ice-cream.” It comes in a sachet and is sold by men riding around on bikes with coolers in front honking their horn so you know they’re coming. For 150 FCA (500 is about 1 US dollar) you can enjoy your own fanmilk. My favorite is FanIce, which tastes like vanilla icing. There is also FanChoco, FnVanilla, FanExtra (like yogert and is a little tangy).

1 comment: